Niu Zhi Chuan, male, born in April, 1963. He is now a professor，Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE) group leader in the State Key Laboratory for Superlattices and Microstructures, Institute of Semiconductors, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). From 1996-1999, he was a visiting scholar in Paul Drude Institute for Solid state electronics, Germany, and University of Southern California, United States of America. He was a successful candidate of "CAS Program for Attracting Overseas Professionals", and a winner of "National Outstanding Youth Fund".
Research area: Low dimensional semiconductor optoelectronic materials and novel quantum devices. Main academic achievements: Unique highly uniformed GaAs quantum dots arrays showing δ-like PL spectrum were grown by atomic Hydrogen assisted MBE on patterned high index substrates; A novel approach of droplet MBE were explored successfully for growth of InAs/GaAs quantum rings; High uniformity and high density long wavelength InGaAs/GaAs quantum dots (QDs) were grown by sub-monolayer cycling deposition with growth temperature variation method, and 1.33 mm QDs laser diodes under continuous wave operation mode were fabricated; Room temperature emission wavelength of highly strained InGaAs/GaAs quantum wells (QWs) was extended to 1.257 mm. A theoretical model of electronic structures of GaInAs(NSb)/GaAs superlattices was proposed, and 1.2-1.6 mm QWs GaInAs(NSb)/GaAs QWs obtained; High performance 1.31 mm GaInNAs/GaAs QWs vertical cavity surface emitting lasers, 1.55 mm GaInNAs/GaAs QWs resonant cavity enhanced photodetectors, and 1.59 mm GaInAs(NSb)/GaNAs/GaAs QWs laser diodes were successfully fabricated. He published more than 70 papers in the international core journals. Several of research results caused wide attention from international institutions and journals such as Institute of Physics of United Kingdom, III-Vs review, etc.
1. S. S. Huang, Z.C. Niu, Z. D. Fang, et al. "Complex quantum ring structures formed by droplet epitaxy". Appl. Phys. Lett., 89, 031921(2006).
2. Z. C. Niu, S. Y. Zhang, H.Q. Ni, et al. "1.3μm High Indium Content (42.5%) GaInNAs/GaAs QWs Grown by MBE"，Physica Status Solidi (c)，3(3), 631(2006).
3. Z. Gong, Z. C. Niu, and Z. D. Fang, "Corrugated surfaces formed on GaAs (331)A substrates: the template for laterally ordered InGaAs nanowires", Nanotechnology, 17,1140(2006).
4. Z.C. Niu, S. Y. Zhang, H.Q. Ni, et al. "GaAs based room temperature continuous-wave 1.59μm GaInNAsSb laser diode grown on GaAs by MBE", Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 231121(2005).
5. Z. C. Niu, H. Q. Ni, X. H. Xu, et al. "Room temperature 1.25μm emission from high Indium content InGaAs/GaAs QWs grown by MBE", J Crystal Growth, 278, 728 (2005).
6. Z. Gong, Z.C. Niu, Z.D. Fang, et al. "Surface morphology control of strained InAs /GaAs(331)A films: from nanowires to island-pit pairs", Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, 013104(2005).
7. Z. Gong, Z. C. Niu, S. S. Huang, et al. "Formation of GaAs/AlGaAs and InGaAs/GaAs nanorings by droplet epitaxy", Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 093116(2005).
8. S. Y. Zhang, Z. C. Niu, H. Q. Ni, et al. "High structural & optical quality 1.3μm GaInNAs /GaAs QWs with higher In content grown by MBE", Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 161911(2005).
9. H. Q. Ni, Z. C. Niu, X. H. Xu, et al. "High Indium content InGaAs/GaAs QWs with emission wavelengths above 1.25μm at room temperature", Appl. Phys. Lett. 84(25), 5100 (2004).
10. Z. C. Niu, H. Q. Ni, X.H. Xu, et al. "Electronic properties of GaAs/GaInNAsSb superlattices", Phys. Rev. B, 68, 235326(2003).