Prof. Dr. Xing Wang ZHANG (successful candidate of 2004 CAS Program for Attracting Overseas Professionals).
Born in Oct. 1972. Obtained his Bachelor of Science in Physics from Lanzhou University in June 1994 and PhD degree in Condensed Matter Physics from the same university in 1999. He did post-doctor study at the Chinese University of Hong Kong from 1999 to 2001. He worked in succession as a visiting scientist and a Humboldt Research Fellow in University of Ulm, Germany from 2001 to 2004. He joined the Key Lab of Semiconductor Materials Science, Institute of Semiconductors, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) in 2004, as a successful candidate of the CAS Program for Attracting Elite Overseas Professionals. In 2004, he was appointed full professor at the ISCAS, where he now heads the group of wide band-gap semiconductors and photovoltaic devices. He has been a committee member of the National Society of Microgravity Science and Application of China, the National Society of Thin Film, and a reviewer for more than 20 scientific journals, such as Nat. Nanotechnol., Appl. Phys. Lett., Chem. Mater, Nanoscale.
His research interests are related to of wide band-gap semiconductor materials and devices, two-dimensional atomic crystals, and photovoltaic materials and devices. He was involved in the break-through towards application of cubic boron nitride (c-BN) via the discovery of large area heteroepitaxial growth of c-BN on top of diamond by ion beam assisted deposition resulting into c-BN layers with qualities suitable for electronic and optoelectronic device purposes. In addition, he has also achieved great advances in the field of ZnO materials and devices. For example, a significant enhancement of electroluminescence from ZnO-based LEDs was firstly realized by resonant coupling between surface plasmon and excitons in ZnO. Recently, his research interests are focus on the 2D atomic crystals such as graphene, hexagonal boron nitride (h-BN). A facile and innovative method of growing high quality h-BN monolayer by ion beam sputtering deposition has been reported firstly in his group. He has been principal investigator for more than 10 projects from CAS, NSFC and MOST since he moved back to China. He has authored or co-authored 115 SCI papers by peer-reviewed journals such as Nat. Mater., Adv. Mater., Small, which have been cited more than 1300 times by others. He has been awarded 17 Chinese patents and has won several awards, including the Beijing Science & Technology Advancement Award (Second Class) and the Outstand graduate-student supervisor from the Chinese Academy Sciences. He is now recruiting graduate students for master and doctoral degrees.
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 10-82304569.
List of the selected publications:
1. H. L. Wang, X. W. Zhang*, H. Liu, Z. G. Yin, J. H. Meng, J. Xia, X. M. Meng, J. L. Wu and J. B. You, Synthesis of large-sized single crystal hexagonal boron nitride domains on nickel foils by ion beam sputtering deposition, Adv. Mater. In press (2015).
2. H. L. Wang, X. W. Zhang*, J. H. Meng, Z. G. Yin, X. Liu, Y. J. Zhao, and L. Q. Zhang, Controlled growth of few-layer hexagonal boron nitride on copper foils using ion beam sputtering deposition, Small 11, 1542-1547 (2015).
3. J. H. Meng, X. W. Zhang*, H. L. Wang, X. B. Ren, C. H. Jin, Z. G. Yin, X. Liu, and H. Liu, Synthesis of in-plane and stacked graphene/hexagonal boron nitride heterostructures by combining with ion beam sputtering deposition and chemical vapor deposition, Nanoscale (2015) DOI: 10.1039/C5NR04490A.
4. H. L. Gao, X. W. Zhang*, J. H. Meng, Z. G. Yin, L. Q. Zhang, J. L. Wu, and X. Liu, Enhanced efficiency in polymer solar cells via hydrogen plasma treatment of ZnO electron transport layers, J. Mater. Chem. A, 3, 3719-3725 (2015).
5. L. Q. Zhang, X. W. Zhang*, Z. G. Yin, Q. Jiang, J. H. Meng, Y. J. Zhao, X. Liu, and H. L. Wang, Highly efficient and stable planar heterojunction perovskite solar cells via low temperature solution process, J. Mater. Chem. A, 3, 12133-12138 (2015).
6. X. Liu, X. W. Zhang*, J. H. Meng, Z. G. Yin, L. Q. Zhang, H. L. Wang, and J. L. Wu, High efficiency Schottky junction solar cells by co-doping of graphene with gold nanoparticles and nitric acid, Appl. Phys. Lett. 106, 233901-5 (2015).
7. S. G. Zhang, X. W. Zhang*, X. Liu, Z. G. Yin, H. L. Wang, H. L. Gao, and Y. J. Zhao, Plasmonic coupling between graphene and localized surface plasmons of silver nanoparticles, Appl. Phys. Lett. 104, 121109-5 (2014).
8. Y. J. Zhao, Z. G. Yin*, X. W. Zhang*, Z. Fu, B. J. Sun, J. X. Wang, and J. L. Wu, Heteroepitaxy of tetragonal BiFeO3 on hexagonal sapphire (0001), ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 6, 2639-2646 (2014).
9. X. W. Zhang*, Doping and electrical properties of cubic boron nitride thin films: A critical review, Thin Solid Films 544, 2-12 (2013) Invited Review
10. S. G. Zhang, X. W. Zhang*, F. T. Si, J. J. Dong, J. X. Wang, X. Liu, Z. G. Yin, and H. L. Gao, Ordered ZnO nanorods-based heterojunction light-emitting diodes with graphene current spreading layer, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 121104 (2012).
11. H. L. Gao, X. W. Zhang*, Z. G. Yin, H. R. Tan, W. Song, S. G. Zhang, J. H. Meng, and X. Liu, Plasmon enhanced polymer solar cells by spin-coating Au nanoparticles on indium-tin-oxide substrate, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 133903 (2012).
12. J. J. Dong, X. W. Zhang*, Z. G. Yin, J. X. Wang, S. G. Zhang, F. T. Si, H. L. Gao, and X. Liu, Ultraviolet electroluminescence from ordered ZnO nanorod array/p-GaN light emitting diodes, Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 171109 (2012).
13. S. G. Zhang, X. W. Zhang*, Z. G. Yin, J. X. Wang, J. J. Dong, H. L. Gao, F. T. Si, S. S. Sun, and Y. Tao, Localized surface plasmon-enhanced electroluminescence from ZnO-based heterojunction light-emitting diodes. Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 181116 (2011).
14. J. J. Dong, X. W. Zhang*, Z. G. Yin, S. G. Zhang, H. R. Tan, J. X. Wang, Y. Gao, F. T. Si, and H. L. Gao, Controllable growth of highly ordered ZnO nanorod arrays via inverted self-assembled monolayer template. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 3, 4388-4395 (2011).
15. J. B. You, X. W. Zhang*, S. G. Zhang, J. X. Wang, Z. G. Yin, H. R. Tan, W. J. Zhang, Paul. K. Chu, B. Cui, A. M. Wowchak, A. M. Dabiran, and P. P. Chow, Improved electroluminescence from n-ZnO/AlN/p-GaN heterojunction light-emitting diodes. Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 201102 (2010).
16. J. J. Dong, X. W. Zhang*, J. B. You, P. F. Cai, Z. G. Yin, Q. An, X. B. Ma, P. Jin, Z. G. Wang, and Paul K. Chu, Effects of hydrogen plasma treatment on the electrical and optical properties of ZnO films: identification of hydrogen donors in ZnO, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2, 1780-1784 (2010).
17. J. B. You, X. W. Zhang*, P. F. Cai, J. J. Dong, Y. Gao, Z. G. Yin, N. F. Chen, R. Z. Wang, and H. Yan, Enhancement of field emission of the ZnO film by the reduced work function and the increased conductivity via hydrogen plasma treatment. Appl. Phys. Lett. 94, 262105 (2009).
18. J. B. You, X. W. Zhang*, Y. M. Fan, S. Qu, and N. F. Chen, Surface plasmon enhanced ultraviolet emission from ZnO films deposited on Ag/Si(001) by magnetron sputtering. Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 231907 (2007).
19. X. W. Zhang*, N. F. Chen, F. Yan, and Werner A. Goedel, Heteroepitaxial gold (111) nanorings on mica substrates. Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, 203102 (2005).
20. X. W. Zhang, H.-G. Boyen*, N. Deyneka, P. Ziemann, F. Banhart, and M. Schreck, Epitaxy of cubic boron nitride on (001)-oriented diamond. Nature Materials 2, 312 (2003).