- TIAN Miao
Name: TIAN Miao
September 1994- July 1997, Study in the Institute for the History of Natural Sciences,
Specialty: History of Science, Academic Degree: Ph. D
STS, History of 20 Century life sciences
1. Tian Miao, “Jiegenfang, Tianyuan, and Daishu: Algebra in Qing China”, in Historia Scientiarum, Vol. 9-1(1999), 101-119.
2.Tian Miao, “Education of Mathematics of Traditional Academies in Late Qing China”, Proceedings of the 4th international Symposium on the History of Mathematics and Mathematical Education Using Chinese characters(ed. Kobayashi Tatsuhiko, Ogawa Tsukane, Sato Ken’ichi, and Jochi Shigeru), Maebashi Institute of Technoloty, 2001, 251-269.
3. Tian Miao, “The Westernization of Chinese Mathematics: A case study of the Duoji method and its Development”, EASTM 20(2003): 45-72.
4.Tian Miao, The Transmission of European Mathematics in the Kangxi Reign (1662-1722)—Looking at the International Role China could play from an Historical Perspective”, in China’s New Role in the International Community: Challenges and Expectations for the 21st Century (Heinz-Dieter Assmann, Karin Moser v. Filseck ed.) , Peter Lang, 2005. 217-234.
5. Tian Miao, Mechanical Knowledge in Ancient Chinese Cosmology, in Transformation and Transmission: Chinese Mechanical Knowledge and the Jesuit Intervention (Zhang Baichun, Juergen Renn eds.), Preprint 313, Berlin: Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, 2006. 37-48.
6. Tian Miao, Mechanical Knowledge in the Jiuzhang Suanshu, ibid., 55-74.
7.Zhang Baichun, Tian Miao, Wang Zheng and the Transmission of Western Mechanical Knowledge to China. Ibid., 75-88
1. Tian Miao, Liu Yicheng, a mathematician and educator in Late Qing China. Collected papers on the History of Mathematics, 3. 117-122.
2. Tian Miao, “Study on Liu Yicheng’s Duoji Method”, Collected papers on the History of Mathematics, 5. 1994..
3. Tian Miao, “The Impact of Education of Mathematics upon the Professionization of Chinese Mathematicians in late Qing China”, Studies in The History of Natural Sciences, 1998, 2, 119-128.
4. Tian Miao, “A Study on the Formation of Mathematical Teachers in the Late Qing Dynasty”, China Historical materials of Science and technology, Vol. 19, No. 4, (1998), 19-24.
5. Tian Miao，“Study on the Different versions of Siyuan Yujian and the Proofs for Jialing Sicao in the Qing Dynasty”, Studies in The History of Natural Sciences,, Vol. 18(1999), No. 1, 36-47.
6. Tian Miao, Interview with Shiing-Shen Chen, China Historical materials of Science and technology, Vol. 21 No. 2 (2000), 117-127.
7. Zhang Baichun, the Visual Representation of Ancient Chinese Machines and Devices, Plalce Museum Journal, No. 3, 2006. 81-97.
8. Baichun Zhang, Tian Miao Miao, Qiang Liu. The Evolvement of Editions of Yuanxi Qiqi Tushuo Luzui (A Record of the Best Illustrations and Descriptions of Extraordinary Devices of the Far West) and Xinzhi Zhuqi Tushuo (Illustrations and Descriptions of Several New-built Devices). The Chinese Journal for the History of Science and Technology, Vol.27 (2006), No.2, pp.115-136.
9. Tian Miao, Baichun Zhang. Research of Mei Wending's Commentaries on the Yuanxi Qiqi Tushuo Luzui. The Chinese Journal for the History of Science and Technology, Vol.27 (2006), No.4, pp.330-339.
10.Tian Miao, Baichun Zhang. Xue Fengzuo’s Reconstruction of Mechanical Knowledge from Yuanxi Qiqi Tushuo Luzui. Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology (Social Sciences Edition), Vol.8, No.6, 2006, pp.1-8.
Books (in Chinese):
1. Guo Shuchun, Tian Miao, Zhou Dahai. The Distinguished Achievements of Mathematics in China, Liaoning Guji Publishing House, 1995.(in Chinese)
2. Tian Miao, Zhongguo Shuxue de Xihua Licheng (The Westernization of mathematics in China),Shangdong Jiaoyu Publishing house, 2005 (in Chinese)
Institute for the History of Natural Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences,
55 ZHONGGUANCUN East Road