Name: SHEN Lei
Professor and Director of Key Lab for Resources Use and Environmental Remediation (RUER), Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research (IGSNRR), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)
Deputy President and Secretary-General of China Society of Natural Resources (CSNR)
Ph.D. University of CAS, Geography, September 2003-June 2005
LLM University of Dundee, Mineral Law and Policy, October 2000- June 2002
MSc. China University of Geosciences (Beijing), Mineral Deposit Geology, September 1986-June 1989
BSc. China University of Geosciences (Wuhan), Mineral Deposit Geology, September 1982-June 1986
Areas of Specialization:
More recent his expertise is focused on energy policy and mineral economics, involving the areas of regulatory systems surrounding resource extraction, energy intensive industry, cement manufacturing and regional development planning in China, resources-based city transformation and sustainable development, and energy and mineral security and multi-lateral resource cooperation. He also has particular experience in policy for small-scale mining in China.
1. Excellent Scientist Award by China Society of Natural Resources in 2012 and 2013
2. The second level of award for Science and Technology Advance by the People Government of Tibet Autonomous Region of China in 2010
3. The second level of award for Science and Technology Advance by the People Government of Guangxi Zhuang Minority Autonomous Region of China in 1992
4. Three times of awards of Distinction Papers for Young Scientist in 1996-1998
2010 Consultant of the World Economic Forum in Minerals and Metals Council
2008 Academic Committee of World Mine Ministry Forum
2006 Consultant of the World Bank
2005 Government adviser of Baiyin City in Gansu Province and Fuxin City in Liaoning Province
2004- Secretary-General of China Society of Natural Resources (CSNR)
2004- Committee Member of China Society of Tibet Plateau (CSTP)
2004- Coordinator of CASM-China and later Committee Member of Strategic Management Advisory Group (SMAG) of CASM
2003-2005 Part-time doctoral advisor of China University of Geosciences, Beijing
1995-1999 Professor, Commission for Integrated Survey of Natural Resources (CISNAR), CAS, Beijing, China
1995-1997 Visiting Professor of China University of Geosciences, Wuhan
March - April 2009 Senior visiting fellow at Department of Life and Environmental Science, University of Tsukuba, Japan
October 1998 - April 1999 Senior visiting fellow at Department of Geography, University of Durham, UK
1992-1995 Associate Professor, Commission for Integrated Survey of Natural Resources (CISNAR), CAS, Beijing, China
1989-1992 Assistant Professor, Commission for Integrated Survey of Natural Resources (CISNAR), CAS, Beijing, China
1. Shen L, C Helvact,J.Y Liu, L.T Liu, H.Q Li, Y Zhao, L Fang. Towards a sustainable asia: natural resources, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, (Berlin, Heidelberg) ,2012.
2. Cheng, S. K., Shen, L., Xu,Z.R. (eds.) (2011). China Resources Report-2010. Beijing: Sciences Press, 194pp.
3. Lei Shen. Towards A Sustainable Asia: Natural Resources[M]，Beijing: Sciences Press and Springer，2010
4. Shen, Lei (eds.) (2010). Towards A Sustainable Asia: Natural Resources. Springer Press.
5. Cheng, S. K., Gu, S. Z., Wang, L. M., Shen, L. et al (eds.) (2003). China Resources Report-2002. Beijing: Business Press, 490pp.
6. Shen, L. (2001). Energy and Minerals Market in China and the World, in State Situation Study Group of CAS (eds.) Two Kinds of Resources and Two Markets of China and World. Tianjing: Tianjing People Press, 210pp.
7. Shen, L. and Wei, X. H. (eds.) (1998). Introduction to Regional Development of Mineral Resources in China. Beijing: Metrological Publishing Press, 320pp.
8. Lei Shen, Litao Liu, Limao Wang, et al. 2050 Energy Consumption Projection for China[J]. Journal of natural resources, 2015, 30(3):361-373.
9. Lei Shen, Litao Liu, Tianming Gao，et al. The Quantity, Flow and Functional Zoning of Energy Resources in China[J]. Resources science, 2012, 34(9):1611-1621.
10. Lei Shen, Jingjing Xue，Development Path Choice and Strategy Framework of China’ s Energy Security[J].China Population Resources and Environment，2011，(10): 49-54.
11. Lei Shen, Jianan Zhao, Limao Wang, et al. Calculation and evaluation on carbon emission factor of cement production in China[J]. Chinese Science Bulletin，2016.9.20, (26): 2926-2938.
12. Lei Shen, Litao Liu，Yan Zhang，The complexity of regional energy security theoretical analysis framework and empirical study[J].China energy, 2010, (11): 31-36.
13. Lei Shen. To ensure the safety of integrated resources[J]. Bulletin of Chinese Academy of Science，2013, (02): 247-254+206.
14. Lei Shen, Yanzhi Sun. Review on carbon emissions, energy consumption and low-carbon economy in China from a perspective of global climate change[J], Journal of Geographical Sciences，2016, 26(7): 855~870
15. Lei Shen, Tianming Gao，Jianan Zhao，et al. Factory-level measurements on CO2 emission factors of cement production in China，Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews，2014, 34: 337-349.
16. Lei Shen,Litao Liu. Regional Differences and Influencing Factor for Sustainable Energy Development of China，China Population Resources and Environment，2010, (01): 17-24.
17. Lei Shen，Jingjing Xue, Tianming Gao. China's energy sustainable development based on the food security: opportunities and challenges[J]. Journal of Resources and Ecology, 2013, 4 (01): 80-87.
Major Research Projects:
1. National Natural Science Foundation of China -Study on coupling mechanism and regulation between energy security, carbon emissions and economic development in Shanxi, Shaanxi and Inner Mongolia (Grant NO.41771566, 2018-2021)
2. National Natural Science Foundation of China- Patterns of China's Energy Supply Security and Its Resources-Environmental Effects under Climate Change (Grant NO. 41271547, 2013-2016)
3. Strategic Priority Research Program-Climate Change: Carbon Budget and Related Issues of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (Grant No. XDA05010400，2011-2015)
4. NSFC-TRF-Mekong Environmental Symposium 2013(Grant NO. 41281240618, 2013)
5. National Natural Science Foundation of China- Study on Advanced Countries Strategies of Science and Technology in Resources and Environment in Neighboring Southeast Asia (Grant NO. J1224012, 2012)
6. NSFC-TRF-International Workshop on Resources, Environment and Sustainable Development in the Great Mekong Sub-regions (GMS) (Grant NO. 41091340064, 2010)
7. National Natural Science Foundation of China- Study on Differentiation of Energy Security between the inland and coastal regions of China (Grant NO. 40771085, 2008-2010)
Tel: +86 (0)10 6488 9005
Updated on Sept.18, 2017